Northeast London pub faces Christmas dinner food poisoning accusations

A pub in East London is currently facing a serious investigation into its food safety training standards after one woman fell ill and died two days after eating a Christmas Day meal on the premises.

Della Callagher was one of thirty people who fell ill after eating at the Railway Hotel in Hornchurch, but the 46-year-old woman was the only suspected food poisoning victim to die of her illness.

The day after eating a Christmas Day turkey dinner at the pub, Mrs Callagher was taken to Queen’s Hospital in Romford. Possibly believing that Mrs Callagher was yet another sufferer of the recent Norovirus outbreak, the hospital treated the mother-of-one with an anti-sickness injection before sending her home.

However, just a day after that, Mrs Callagher was brought back in an ambulance to the hospital, where she later died.

Following the tragic incident, an investigation has been launched. The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has revealed that diners who fell ill after eating at the pub have submitted samples containing the clostridium perfringens bacteria, which is the third most common cause of food poisoning in the UK.

Ember Inns, which owns the Railway Hotel, stated recently that it prepares all food to the highest standards but that it will cooperate with the HPA investigation.