Shropshire businesses warned to check fire safety

Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a fire safety warning to businesses in the area after discovering that many premises do not have the right safety measures in place.

The fire service believes that many business owners do not fit integrated fire alarm systems because they believe them to be too expensive, despite the fact that there are many affordable systems available and that fire alarms can save lives.

As well as urging business owners to fit fire alarms and other fire detection systems, the service also highlighted the importance of conducting a fire risk assessment and insuring that all staff undergo fire safety training.

Additionally, a warning was issued to business owners about the dangers of allowing people (often staff) to live or sleep above business premises, such as takeaways, where the right fire safety precautions may not have been taken. Prohibition notices will be issued to any businesses caught breaking fire safety rules, and further legal action may be taken if improvements are not immediately made.

Martin Huckle, the Rural Fire Safety Supervisor for the service, said:

“Business owners must act. They cannot do nothing or lives will be lost,”