Two Bradford nightclubs breaching fire safety rules

Two nightclubs right in the heart of Bradford’s city centre have been found to be breaching fire safety regulations, prompting a demand from the local fire service for immediate action to be taken.

The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service inspected 12 licensed premises in Bradford throughout June, as part of an operation launched after a fire broke out at a nightclub in Brazil and killed 242 people. Inspectors were looking at everything from fire exits and escape routes to overcrowding, fire alarm systems and fire safety training among key members of staff.

Both the NV and Chronicle nightclubs were found to be in breach of fire safety laws, and the fire service served the club’s managers with prohibition notices. NV required a new fire alarm system, which was put in place just in time for the club to be reopened the night after the inspection.

The Chronicle club, meanwhile, had problems with fire exits and was restricted to using just the ground floor until improvement measures were taken. However, the club claims it does not use or own the first floor, so the landlord of the building will have to take action in response to the prohibition order.