13 food safety breaches uncovered at Chinese restaurant

A Chinese restaurant in the Lincolnshire town of North Hykeham has been fined thousands of pounds after being charged with a total of 13 food hygiene breaches.

When visiting the Jade Garden takeaway in November 2012, food hygiene inspectors found that the floor of the kitchen was so greasy and dirty that it was difficult to stand on without slipping and falling over. They also found:

  • A fridge door seal that was covered in mould
  • Numerous rodent hairs
  • Partial remains of woodlice
  • The main cooking range is covered in old food
  • Cooked egg noodles dumped straight onto a dirty table
  • Poor cleaning and handling practices
  • Lack of control and management, as well as food hygiene training
  • Raw and ready-to-eat food is left near each other on surfaces, increasing the risk of cross-contamination.

The owner of the Jade Garden, Jin Lang Wang, was brought before Lincoln Magistrates’ Court to answer the charges. He was eventually fined £4,000 and ordered to pay court costs of £1,000. Mr Wang said that although inspectors gave his restaurant a one out of five hygiene rating, the required improvements have now been made and the Jade Garden is a safe place to eat.