About Sports First Aid
This course is ideal for those involved with sports and fitness clubs, as they will learn the first aid skills to deal with sporting injuries correctly. This training is essential to help avoid any long-term injuries for athletes. Candidates will also be able to accurately assess an athletes’ ability to return to their sport.
How long will this course take?
This course is 6 hours and spread across 1 day.
Who needs this training?
This course is perfect for team captains, teachers, or any others that are responsible for looking after their players. Sports first aid covers all the bases of first aid and common short-term or long-term injuries on the field.
What are the main points covered?
Understand how to deal with a variety of common sports injuries and potential emergencies, including bleeding, burns, head injuries, bone, joint and muscle injuries and more.
How is it delivered?
Courses are delivered in-house or online via webinar/e-learning for up to 12 people. We also hold open courses across the UK.
How do you get Certified?
This course is available via an in-house group course for up to 12 delegates. Choose for the course to be delivered either face to face or by a blended learning option, at a time and place convenient to you. Alternatively, learn through one of our scheduled courses at centers located across the UK. Upon completion of this course, a certificate will be awarded.
Sports First Aid Outline
- Introduction to your new role as a first aider.
- Primary survey (initial check).
- Communicating with the casualty.
- Dealing with an emergency in a public place.
- Internal and external bleeding.
- Speedy treatment of burns and scalds.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and when it is necessary.
- Assessing unconscious causalities.
- Proper assessment and response to head injury.
- Possible reactions to extreme temperatures/conditions.
- Torn or stretched ligaments and muscles.
- Asthma attacks.
- Bone, joint and muscle injuries.
- Assessing and treating (if possible) chest pains.
- Emergency technique to relieve choking. Introduction to your new role as a first aider.
Sports First Aid FAQs
What is sports first aid?
Sports first aid is a course that is designed for use by those involved in sport. It helps give candidates the necessary first aid skills to deal with a wide range of sporting incidents.
Who should attend this course?
The courses are of benefit to anyone involved with individual or team sports. This includes coaches, physios, referees, players, assistants and trainers. It is also useful for physical education teachers as well as voluntary club members.
What will I learn in this course?
Candidates will be taught the role of the sports first aider and how to manage an emergency. It also teaches how to prevent further escalation of injury that may become a risk to life further down the line.
What kinds of injuries does the course cover?
Training will show candidates how to deal with a wide range of injury including bleeding, bone, muscle and joint injuries, chest pains, resuscitation, and shock. It looks at the extremes of heat and cold and discusses how to manage a casualty outdoors.