A quick guide to retail and licensing training and qualifications

If you are a manager or a supervisor of a licensed premises, you will to undergo certain training in order to legally meet the demands and responsibilities of your position. The same goes for staff members hoping to obtain a promotion to one of these positions.
There are two main qualifications available in England and Wales. There are separate qualifications available for people who work in licensed premises in Scotland, where regulations and licensing laws are different.
National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) Level 2
This is the qualification you will need if you want to apply for a Personal Licence to sell alcohol in England and Wales. This training is for managers and supervisors, as well as those hoping to be promoted to one of these positions. On the training course, you will learn about licensing authorities, operating schedules, Personal and Premises licenses, illegal drugs and the effects of alcohol and police powers.
National Diploma for Designated Premises Supervisors (NDDPS) Level 3
This is a training course for people who have been named the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) or personal license holders who hope to become a DPS. This course will teach trainees about licensing objectives, responsibilities of the DPS, risk assessments, young people and alcohol, health and safety, weights and measures and many other relevant topics.